Tuesday, March 4, 2014

News from the creatively constipated

At varying times, I have posted about personal impediments to the rapid development not only of my blogging endeavors, but to the development of a significant number of creative ideas that I have in general.  Fortunately, Stephanie Peterson for The Daily Muse (found on Mashable via a Code Project Daily News link) posted something recently which again indicates I may not be alone. 
"Now, I realize the difference between those times when I was honoring my introversion and times when I was caving into fear, and how important it is to separate the two before the latter threatens to hold you back."
- Stephanie Peterson, "How Introverts Can Stand Out at Work", Mashable, December 1, 2013
There are elements to my personality that on a Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) test actually show a slight (very slight) tendency towards the extroversion end of the spectrum.  However, I am probably one of the most introverted-appearing extroverts you will ever meet.  Stephanie's article is applicable and helpful to me as I recognize that while I am energized by participation in extroverted situations, absorption and quiet contribution are certainly satisfactory for me.  Best described, particularly using a sports analogy, is that I love being part of the team and contributing to winning, but I am certainly content with not being the star.  As an ice hockey player, I am perfectly happy with assists that help us win, in baseball-type sports, base hits and solid field play are the main goal for me, not home runs. 

It is worth mentioning that Stephanie's article provides reference to another, older article with networking advice for introverts on The Daily Muse by Anna Runyon.  This article has some helpful ideas that do translate to my situation, as well.

So, having said all that, there are a couple of things that I will share that, hopefully, are signs that  things may be different in this new year.

One is, as I have posted before, that my wife, Cindy, is an amazing artist. Why do I say this again here and now? Well, as she announced in a post a several weeks ago, we were, and now, have moved to a location.

What has greatly impressed me once again, though, is that in the midst of implementing the move, she created an incredible mural segment in just a few hours, as part of a project for the Phoenix Festival of the Arts. I am once again floored (and maybe newly inspired?) by my wife's talent, but I regularly am. The event itself was something that, had I not felt as uncomfortably creatively inhibited that I have, I would have liked to participate in with her.  Maybe I will if and when this opportunity comes around again later this year.

The other item to share is that I am altering my closing branding and tagging, both to step away from Apple branding ("Think different"), but also to more accurately reflect the direction of my creative focus.  Or, at least, I hope so.

It certainly appears that our new home is beginning to do a number of positive things to ease the creative constipation that I have felt for some time.

This is still just a work in progress, though, but isn't life?  So...

View life through a different lens...

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Good to see you blogging again! Let's see if comments works today...thanks for the kind words and link re: my art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, though commenting seems to be fixed, Blogspot showed me no new blogs today from those I follow. In fact it said I am not following any blogs! (I do follow a dozen or more incl. yours.)

    ReplyDelete